Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Who I would bring

If you could bring one character from any one book that we have read this year with you when you go to college, who would bring? Why?

College is a time Where students are trying to find what they were meant to do in life. I know for me i will need help thinking through my decisions on my career path. With a busy class schedule I will need to look to someone who wants to help me. I need to have a friend that loves people and will take the time to help me through my big decisions. The person that I would bring to college with me from any book would be Jim Casey from Grapes of Wrath.


I would bring him because he goes deeper into the meaning of life and religion he questions alot of things like why things are sins. one of my favorite quotes in the book was when he said " the hell with it! there ain't no sin and there ain't no virtue there's stuff people do its all apart of the same thing" In the book he thought deeply about religion and if he was fit to be a preacher because of the sins he made as he thought about it it realized that there was nothing wrong with what he was doing and he just loved people .I think he would help me when I'm lost even though he seemed really lost in life, his philosophy was well thought out in my eyes. He questions what he was meant to do in life and i feel like college is the time when I will be questioning what I should do in life and if its right for me. i believe he will help me to perfect my philosophy when this point in my life comes. The other reason why i would want this character in my life during college is because i feel like we could have conversation that is actually worth having. When i'm done talking to him i feel like i would be less confused about certain aspect of life.Not only that but he was a lover not a fighter and anyone who has that much love for people is welcome in my life because all he wants is to make people happy. Another quote that i liked was when he said "A fellow ain't got a soul of his own, just little piece of a big soul, the one big soul that belongs to everybody" I think this idea is a good thought and I would need these words of wisdom along the way.

I also feel like this character would be very interesting to be around. He kind of reminds me of someone that when they say something people listen because in the book tom joad seemed to really listen to him and talked about things he said and how the helped him "That Casy. He might have been a preacher but he seen things clear. He was like a lantern. He helped me to see things clear." this is what i want for me i want to see things clear too.






No comments:

Post a Comment